Helping a Heroin Addict - Choices For Opiate Addiction

For heroin addiction help in England people first turn to the NHS National Health System. Opiate addicts and family usually go to see their GP. The system is flawed as the impetus is on sending the heroin addict to the methadone clinic. What we end up with is a bunch of zombie like drug addicts who continue to be a burden on society and on the social network. The drug addict still enslaved. Private residential rehabilitation is the other option.

Choices for Opiate Addiction in the UK

For the heroin addict what they really want is to be free of drug addiction. Like the day you were born, free of the physical and mental desire for drugs. To me the following are not really choices but they are yours under the NHS.

Under the current system the GP can offer you a legal substitute called Naltrexone which acts as a blockade for the high if the addict was then to use an opiate such as heroin. The idea being that if you cannot experience the high, then you won't use. I don't buy this concept as the person is still stuck to pills, the reasons for his drug use were never addressed, it does not fix cravings.

Will You Choose Methadone? More difficult to withdraw from than heroin, methadone unfortunately seems to be the cheap solution most commonly offered by the medical system to the heroin addict. 1.8 million methadone prescriptions are given each year in the UK. This is a highly addictive drug and not a solution if you want to live a drug and addiction free life. If a drug is this addictive wherein the withdrawal is more crippling than that of heroin why would anyone see this as a solution. At the end of the day, the reasons a person began using mind altering drugs in the first place are not resolved. You still have a messed up individual barely getting by in life taking a bad drug that will eventually kill him.

Another prescription drug is Buprenorphine. Joining the type of drugs that street drug dealers come to profit from. To most addicts aka Subutex, Subuxone just becomes another dependency and I hear of drug addicts taking it along with their heroin, crack cocaine, ecstacy and speed.

what's left? Private Residential Rehab, including full physical detox to eliminate cravings and full life rehabilitation so the person feels like a capable member of society again. This is the only life-long solution.

Freedom from Heroin Addiction in the UK - here is someone's story "I was a heroin addict for over 10 years, until I went to NN. Nothing in my life had gone the way I wanted it to, I had no control or self-respect and I had succumbed to the effects of drugs. It took its toll on every single aspect of my life until I actually thought the only way to beat my addiction was to kill myself. So I tried and every time I put a needle in my arm I was truly wishing I would not wake up after. I came to the program in one hell of a mess. I was always a person who gave up on everything I had done but this time I was determined that I would complete the program and stay drug-free for the rest of my life. The program itself is so amazing! It gave me the frame of mind and control I had craved for so many years. I had tried other various treatment programs in the past and nothing had worked for me like this program. Every single aspect of my life is now in place for me. Everything I had ever wanted is coming to me. I'm confident, controlled and for the first time in 27 years I am actually happy. MM"





Do you want to learn more about the causes of addiction and how end it?

Go to: http://www.detox-narconon.org

Paula Dewar is a professional rehab consultant and refers clients to Drug-free Detox and Rehab Programs which End Addiction for Life. Paula speaks English and Portuguese.

PS: To subscribe to our free newsletter giving our Latest Discoveries go to: http://www.detox-narconon.org/family-training/subscribe.php